1. The great silk-route to the Indians was opened by:
(A) Kanishka (B) Ashoka
(C) Harsha (D) Fa-Hien
2. The rulers of which dynasty started the
practice of granting tax-free villages to
Brahmanas and Buddhist Monks?
(A) Satavahanas (B) Mauryas
(C) Guptas (D) Cholas
3. Yavanika or curtain was introduced in Indian
theatre by which of the following?
(A) Shakas (B) Parthians
(C) Greeks (D) Kushans
4. Who started the Saka Era which is still used
by the Government of India?
(A) Kanishka (B) Vikramaditya
(C) Samudra Gupta (D) Ashoka
5. Who were the first kings to issue gold coins in
(A) Mauryas (B) Indo-Greeks
(C) Guptas (D) Kushans
6. Who among the following were contemporaries
(A) Kamban, Banabhatta, Ashvagosha
(B) Nagarjuna, Ashvagosha, Vasumitra
(C) Asvagosha, Kalidasa, Banabhatta
(D) Kalidas, Kamba, Vasumitra
7. Mohammed-bin-Qasim conquered Sindh in the year
(A) 712 A.D. (B) 812 A.D.
(C) 912 A.D. (D) 1012 A.D.
8. With whom is ‘Junagarh Rock Inscription’
(A) Rudradaman (B) Bimbisara
(D) Gautamiputra Satakarni
9. Harshavardhana organised his religious assembly at-
(A) Mathura (B) Prayag
(C) Varanasi (D) Tamralipt
10. The greatest development in the Kushana period was in the field of-
(A) Religion (B) Art
(C) Literature (D) Architecture
11. ‘Charak’ was the famous court physician of-
(A) Harsha (B) Chandra Gupta Maurya
(C) Ashoka (D) Kanishka Post Mauryan
12. Who was the author of the Kadambari, a great
(A) Banabhatta (B) Harshavardhana
(C) Baskarvardhana (D) Bindusara
13. Satvahanas minted their coins predominantly in-
(A) Lead (B) Silver
(C) Gold (D) Copper
14. Who is called as the ‘second Ashoka’?
(A) Samudra Gupta (B) Chandra Gupta Maurya
(C) Kanishka (D) Harshavardhana
15. The capital of Kanishka was:
(A) Puruspura (B) Benares
(C) Allahabad (D) Sarnath
16. The Greatest Kushan leader who got converted
to Buddhism was-
(A) Kujala (B) Vima
(C) Kanishka (D) Kadphises
17. Alexander and the army of Porus camped on
the opposite banks of this river-
(A) Ravi (B) Jhelum
(C) Sutlej (D) Chenab
18. ‘Puruspura’ is the other name for-
(A) Patna (B) Pataliputra
(C) Peshawar (D) Punjab
19. With which of the following centres of learning, Chanakya the famous teacher of
Chandragupta Maurya, was associated?
(A) Taxila (B) Nalanda
(C) Vikramshila (D) Vaishali
20. The year of accession of Kanishka to throne was:
(A) 108 AD (B) 78 AD
(C) 58 AD (D) 128 AD
Ans. (B) [SSC CHSL 2011]
21. Which dynasty immediately succeeded the
Maurya dynasty and ruled Magadha Kingdom?
(A) Satavahana (B) Sunga
(C) Nanda (D) Kanva
22. Who among the following was ruler from The
(A) Vikarmaditya (B) Danti Durga
(C) Khadphises I (D) Pushyamitra
23. The ruler of Kharvela was the greatest ruler
of which Chedi Dynasty?
(A) Cholamandalam (B) Kalinga
(C) Kannoj’ (D) Purushpura.
24. Kalinga’s ruler Kharavela gave his protection to –
(A) Hinduism (B) Shaivism
(C) Buddhism (D) Jainism
25. Who was the founder of the Satvahana Empire?
(A) Kanha (B) Simuka
(C) Hala (D) Gautamiputra
26. Who among the following was the court
physician of Kanishka?
(A) Vasumitra (B) Nagarjuna
(C) Charaka (D) Patanjali